Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Monte's Big Walk

We went on a walk and it was wonderful! At first he was very nervous. I've never seen a tail so far between a dog's legs. However, he quickly warmed up. Monte sat at every street crossing and curb we came to. I was especially impressed because there were a lot of distractions that would have made it easy for him to ignore me. He barely pulled at all. When he did pull I used the "Tree Method". Our trainer Jim uses the Tree Method to teach walking on a loose leash. Monte is still a little over stimulated to follow the cookie just like the video - so I use a squeak toy. The noise gets his attention and reminds him of fun stuff, and so he follows.

Loose Leash Walking Video - http://www.expertvillage.com/video/60953_canine-obedience-loose.htm

The only thing was he didn't go to the bathroom! I swear he had to go - but he wouldn't and we walked far! I am going to do some research on that today.

No comments: